Wednesday, December 7, 2011

A whole new world

I am trying madly to get back here these days, but it's been hard all due to my crazy work.  Unlike earlier, I am not trying to put ttc as far out of my mind as possible to get through.  On the contrary, I am actually having a wonderful natural cycle.  Well...as natural as you can when you are desperately trying to conceive!  Our "natural cycle" includes pre-seed, OPKs, supplements, and now my new favorite thing in the whole world...

Before we began having "baby sex" we always used condoms.  So, you would understand our delight after having unprotected sex for the first time.  We were blown away!  It was a whole other world!  While the act is incredible, I have always found the aftermath fairly... disgusting.  I was now feeling less sexy than ever dealing with the leakage, propping myself up to counter this, having to use a towel, and on and on.  Imagine my new delight when I used an instead cup for the first time.  Blown away!  A whole new world!

For those of you reading this who don't know about instead cups, they are actually polyethylene cups designed for your period.  I first picked them up because I had read so much about them being effective for ttc.  The idea is that it keeps the sperm inside and closer to the cervix rather than it leaking out.  I am still not sold on this idea for really increasing our chances, but I thought it couldn't hurt to try.  It took a few times to get the courage to stick this rather large thing up, but once I did, it was incredible.  I now feel it is my duty to tell every woman I know about these!  It wasn't all that sexy, but a quick insertion under the blankets as opposed to the alternative seemed fine to me.  And then, just as a tampon, you don't feel it at all and the best part....drumroll please....no spillage!  You can lay how ever you please without worry!

Ahhhhh.....I have entered a whole new world.  A much cleaner, little more sexy world where I feel like I can actually keep my dignity after doing the deed.  Initially, this was done purely to increase our chances conceiving, but I do believe that I just may have to use these far more often.  Try it.  It's amazing.

4 comments:

M said...

I've heard of women using Instead cups for this purpose and I have to admit that I'm tempted to try it myself. However, I had a bad experience with a similar product (the Diva cup) and it's left me slightly traumatized. The first time I inserted the Diva cup, it took me THIRTY MINUTES to get the damn thing out again! I seriously began to fear that it was going to become a permanent part of my anatomy.

But perhaps the Instead cups are better. Worth looking into...

JM said...

Who would have thought??? I hate the getting up and cleaning up "after" part- that would definitely be a nice option. I wonder how it would work in my case though- I *have* to get up shortly after to pee to help stave off the frequent UTI's I get. I always worry that a bunch of the you-hoo is lost in that process. Can you pee with one in?

Carlia said...

i had no idea those even existed! genius! i'm going to have to try them. where did you get yours? online?

bean dreams said...

M - Yikes! I was a little nervous when I noticed how far it had gone in, but I did retrieve it fairly quickly. I could totally see this happening though!

JM - not sure if you can pee with them...I just took it out right before I did.

Carlia - I just got them at a Walgreens! At first I thought they didn't carry them as I was looking in the fertility section as I was buying pre-seed, but they are actually with the tampons. They were cheap too! I think about $8 for 12.

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

A whole new world

I am trying madly to get back here these days, but it's been hard all due to my crazy work.  Unlike earlier, I am not trying to put ttc as far out of my mind as possible to get through.  On the contrary, I am actually having a wonderful natural cycle.  Well...as natural as you can when you are desperately trying to conceive!  Our "natural cycle" includes pre-seed, OPKs, supplements, and now my new favorite thing in the whole world...

Before we began having "baby sex" we always used condoms.  So, you would understand our delight after having unprotected sex for the first time.  We were blown away!  It was a whole other world!  While the act is incredible, I have always found the aftermath fairly... disgusting.  I was now feeling less sexy than ever dealing with the leakage, propping myself up to counter this, having to use a towel, and on and on.  Imagine my new delight when I used an instead cup for the first time.  Blown away!  A whole new world!

For those of you reading this who don't know about instead cups, they are actually polyethylene cups designed for your period.  I first picked them up because I had read so much about them being effective for ttc.  The idea is that it keeps the sperm inside and closer to the cervix rather than it leaking out.  I am still not sold on this idea for really increasing our chances, but I thought it couldn't hurt to try.  It took a few times to get the courage to stick this rather large thing up, but once I did, it was incredible.  I now feel it is my duty to tell every woman I know about these!  It wasn't all that sexy, but a quick insertion under the blankets as opposed to the alternative seemed fine to me.  And then, just as a tampon, you don't feel it at all and the best part....drumroll please....no spillage!  You can lay how ever you please without worry!

Ahhhhh.....I have entered a whole new world.  A much cleaner, little more sexy world where I feel like I can actually keep my dignity after doing the deed.  Initially, this was done purely to increase our chances conceiving, but I do believe that I just may have to use these far more often.  Try it.  It's amazing.

4 comments:

M said...

I've heard of women using Instead cups for this purpose and I have to admit that I'm tempted to try it myself. However, I had a bad experience with a similar product (the Diva cup) and it's left me slightly traumatized. The first time I inserted the Diva cup, it took me THIRTY MINUTES to get the damn thing out again! I seriously began to fear that it was going to become a permanent part of my anatomy.

But perhaps the Instead cups are better. Worth looking into...

JM said...

Who would have thought??? I hate the getting up and cleaning up "after" part- that would definitely be a nice option. I wonder how it would work in my case though- I *have* to get up shortly after to pee to help stave off the frequent UTI's I get. I always worry that a bunch of the you-hoo is lost in that process. Can you pee with one in?

Carlia said...

i had no idea those even existed! genius! i'm going to have to try them. where did you get yours? online?

bean dreams said...

M - Yikes! I was a little nervous when I noticed how far it had gone in, but I did retrieve it fairly quickly. I could totally see this happening though!

JM - not sure if you can pee with them...I just took it out right before I did.

Carlia - I just got them at a Walgreens! At first I thought they didn't carry them as I was looking in the fertility section as I was buying pre-seed, but they are actually with the tampons. They were cheap too! I think about $8 for 12.